Politicos love to play with the numbers when predicting who will win the 2012 presidential election. In light of Mitt Romney’s proclamation that 47 percent of Americans believe they’re victims and that’s why they support President Obama, new math is needed for a Romney win.
Despite his Libya timeline problem and Mother Jones leakage, there’s still hope for Romney. (Wait, “hope” is an Obama word. Let’s call it, capitalist opportunity). Former President George W. Bush won the controversial 2000 election with 47.9 percent of the vote, losing the popular vote but winning the electoral college. Since Romney just called 47 percent of the country lazy do-nothings, suckling at the burnt out teat of government milkiness, he’ll need at least 47.9 percent of the other 53 percent he didn’t blatantly insult to a room full of monopoly men. This means he needs to convince that portion of the American electorate that they are personally keeping the country afloat with nothing but their own hard work and a little, let’s say, elbow grease.
Recorded video has not been a kind ally to the Romney campaign. First, videos emerged where he called himself a moderate, supportive of a woman’s right to choose. Now this latest leak appears to have done him in with 47 percent of American voters. There’s no going back. That’s why Romney needs to double down. Continue calling anyone who has relied on government for assistance a lazy sack of shit, and praise the other 53 percent who, apparently, are American superheros, accomplishing their dreams despite their government.
Of course, this narrative becomes tricky since Romney himself received government compensation during his time as Governor of Massachusetts. But that’s when he was nothing but a free loading moderate!